What is your top-ten song list? What was it when you were a kid? Is there any overlap?
This is a hard question. Music is really my life, so choosing only 10...gah.
1)Enjoy eet! This is from some Disney movie featuring some French guy whose name escapes me and that girl who played in the old Parent Trap and Pollyana. What was her name again? Anyway, the hokey accent and message of optimism never fail to cheer me up.
2) C'est La Vie by the PGSM crew. I know, nerdy, but this song always gives me a pick-me upper and the first song (barring Tentomusi no Sanba) I ever learned in Japanese.
3) These are the days. Great song about helping others and where we're eventually headed.
4) What Heaven Sees in You. This one never fails to make me cry. It's based on a painting called "Three Dresses," which depicts a blessing (erm...not sure what another equivalent to this is...First Communion? No, I think that's older...um...baptism? For babies? Ergh), a baptism (8 year old, maybe First Communion?), and a wedding dress. It basically talks about the stages of life and becoming the person that God sees in you. Wonderful.
5) Appalachian Snowfall. The only reason this is lower on my list is because I can't sing with it. But it is SO beautiul and the tempo moves wonderfully.
6) If I can't Love Her from Beauty and the Beast. So beautiful to sing along to.
7) Either One World or Someday by Celtic Women. Both wonderful to sing with, great messages.
8) Lord, Make Me an Instrument of Thy Peace. This was some "saint" or another's prayer, I think...maybe Paul? It is a beautiful piece my All-State choir sung and brings back great memories. It also is a good reminder to forget yourself and work for the Lord and others.
9) Go On or Disengagement by "Brooke Curtis". Shameless self-promotion, these are unfinished songs I wrote back in the day, but I still love them.
10) The Spirit of God. A beautiful hymn of the LDS church. I love it.
Wow, that wasn't so bad! Keep in mind these aren't ALL the songs I like, just the ones that come to mind as being songs I never skip past.
When I was a kid:
1) The Baby Busy Box Band by Joe Scruggs
I really don't remember. I listened to a lot. I remember listening to a lot of Joe Scruggs and Aesop's Fables by the Smuthers (or something) Brothers. There was this song a group and I sang at the opening of a new wing of a hospital and it srsly drives me NUTS because it was beautiful and I loved it but I can't remember the whole tune or how it starts. The only part I remember is...
"...So many people helped us,
So we can find our way.
We thank you for the time that you take
Each and every day
To help us
Follow our hearts,
And follow our dreams.
Never give up no matter
How hard it seems.
For we are the future,
And we were blessed to lead the way...
(And two more lines that I can't remember)"
Great, no? I think I remember this part because it hit me hard. I remember looking at my mom in the crowd (I may have been 10, maybe a little younger) and just bawling during that part because I was so grateful to have her as my mommy. I still am. Grateful, not bawling. Okay...well, maybe bawling a little....XD